Friday, December 12, 2008

The forceful Kingdom


I've begun using a new guide for prayer. It's called Sacred Space -- a guide to daily prayer written by some Jesuits in Ireland. For each week there is a meditation and structure for prayer. Then each day has a Scripture reading.

Recently the reading was from Matthew 11. I read it slowly and meditatively. But one verse stumped me. Verse 12: "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force." (NKJV)

The kingdom of heaven suffers violence (?)
The violent take it by force (?)

Some translations say that the kingdom of heaven is advancing forcefully and powerfully. Some say that there is an attempt to cause God's kingdom to come through violence (such as the Zealots of Jesus' time). Some commentators say this refers to the Jewish opposition to the gospel. Others say it means that the Kingdom itself is breaking into the world with great power. Others say that the 'kingdom' is Jesus Christ himself, and he suffers violence in the crucifixion.

The second phrase may simply mean that people are trying really hard to get into the kingdom. According to St. John Chrysostom (an early Church Father), the violent who take the kingdom by force are those who have such earnest desire for Christ that they let nothing stand between themselves and faith in him.

Does this make sense? Just a few verses later Jesus tells us to learn from him -- because he is gentle and humble in heart. What kind of "violence" is this that is related to the Kingdom of heaven?

Prayer: Lord, sometimes I don't understand the Scriptures. I study; I read what others say; I ponder; I pray for understanding; I meditate on it. Lord, keep me focused on the parts of Scripture that are clear. You love us even though we are sinful. You accept us. You expect us to center our lives on you and your will. You demand that we take care of each other and build bridges between people and nations. You tell us to feed the hungry and be fair. You show us the radical grace and mercy of God. Perhaps that's all I need to know.