Thursday, January 29, 2009

The sports pages


When I was visiting Jack and Jean the other day, Jean told me that she used to read the whole paper (newspaper), and Jack would read only the sports pages. But now she reads the sports pages too. The reason is that someone told her that she should always read the sports pages because with all the bad news you need to read about victory. And in the sports pages someone always wins.

I had never thought of the sports pages as a source of hope, but I guess they can be. Someone always wins.

St. Paul uses sports metaphors. He writes, "I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." (1 Cor. 9.26-27)

Ultimately, we 'win the prize' because Christ has won the prize for us already. He came to gather the 'losers' into his kingdom and make them 'winners.' He has won the contest with evil.

Let the great words of Paul ring in your ears: "The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks to be God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
(1 Cor. 15.56-57)

Let's all read the sports pages.