Wednesday, June 24, 2009

cappella?


I always have trouble with the word acapel...a capela...a capella...a cappela???
Well, I think there are two acceptable spellings: a capella and a cappella. But one site I found that says that the most predominatn and most 'correct' spelling is a cappella -- two words, two 'p's' -- two 'l's.' Maybe I can remember that.

The phrase means "in the style of the chapel." In normal musical use it means: singing without musical accompaniment. The Xenia Hospitality Barbershop Chorus sings a cappella. They will sing in our worship on July 5. In fact, the whole service will be a cappella.

Some Presbyterian/Reformed churches used to insist on a cappella music in worship. No organs; no pianos; no guitars; no accordians (thank goodness). Still today there are some churches (Church of Christ is one) that do not use instruments in worship. They say the New Testament never commands the use of instruments, and in fact says only "make melody with your hearts" (Eph. 5). So, the use of musical instruments (other than the voice) are unbiblical according to them.

I think that's getting picky with the bible. I don't think you can wall off the Book of Psalms and the Book of Revelation (both of which have musical instruments) and say that only the New Testament books--and those that deal with pre-heaven--count. This just proves that logic is not enough for understanding the biblical religion.

Now that I know how to spell a cappella I can focus on the spell of music.