Thursday, October 1, 2009

Goodbye, TNIV

I am upset by what I've just read. It seems that the TNIV is not going to be published anymore. Instead, a revision of the NIV is going to be done (which will come out in 2011). Dang! I love the TNIV. I use it as my primary version. I don't quite understand if the revised NIV (last updated in 1984) will keep the good attributes of the TNIV or throw them out. The language of the TNIV (which came out in 2002) is more accurate. This whole thing is because of pressure on the publisher from evangelical leaders who are afraid of inclusive language, i.e., when the generic word 'man' is changed to 'people' – as in "let your light shine before people" (instead of 'before men'). This is a scandal.

I may have to revert to the NRSV, which is a fine translation. For some occasions (particularly for public reading) I like the CEV. And of course The Message is very useful for reading and reflecting on the Bible's meaning.

I also like the REV, the NCV, and the NJB. I also sometimes watch NBC, and I belong to AARP.