Monday, November 16, 2009

Methodist Pastors' Quandry

The United Methodist Church has a problem. As you know, the Methodist Church is episcopal in polity (it has Bishops); and pastors are appointed to congregations by the Bishop (and his/her cabinet). Unlike Presbyterian pastors, the Methodist guys and gals don't worry about having a place to go next; they are guaranteed a placement. We Presbyterians use the free market system. We have to go out and find our next job -- apply, interview, preach, and all that. But our lucky Methodist sisters and brothers just wait around until the Boss tells them where to go (so to speak). But now, the Methodist system is getting saturated because of declines in membership in the congregations. Too many pastors, not enough churches. What to do? This is a problem.The Catholic Church has the opposite problem: too many churches, not enough priests. They got nuns, but none can be priests. I feel sorry for my Catholic brothers (priests) who have too many parishioners to keep up with. And I feel sorry for my Methodist brothers and sisters who don't have enough parishioners to give them a job. Throughout my pastoral career I've often wondered if I would be able to get a job after finishing one pastorate and beginning to look for another. Of course in our system the pastor is not supposed to say anything publicly about looking for a new church; it's none secretly so that you don't become a lame duck. You have to go to interviews and communicate with Pastor Nominating Committees on the sly. Then--when you have been sure you have a new call--you tell your church that you're leaving. That's one thing I've liked about being an interim pastor--I could upfront about my contract and the need to begin to find another church. I've often been envious of the Methodists in this regard. They don't have to market themselves. Their system takes care of them. But now it appears that they are running into the supply-and-demand reality. If I really believed in comprehensive predestination I wouldn't worry about any of this. But since I only believe in partial predestination I've worried about job continuity over the years. I've been lucky. I've never been without a pastoral job. Maybe 'luck' is providence. Maybe not. Anyway, I'm looking for a part time pastoral position in Alabama soon. So far, no luck. (Or no providence.)

[see article about the Methodist dilemma at this site