Thursday, March 18, 2010

Many rooms

Jesus said: In my Father's house are many rooms.

Here is the way I see it…

The world is God's house. On one floor of the house live the Baptists. Many of the Baptists have never been out of their room. They are warned not to wander around because it's dangerous outside the room. A certain percentage of the Baptists believe that there are no other rooms in the house.

On another floor you'll find the Pentecostals. They have sound proof walls because they make a lot of noise. They pretty much think that they are the only ones in the house that have electricity.

Another floor holds the Catholics. They have lots of furniture. The fire station down the road has to come with sirens on to their floor occasionally because they have so many candles. Some rooms on their floor are just for women, and some are just for men; very quiet rooms.

The Presbyterians occupy another floor of God's house. They keep everything very orderly. They know their particular floor was chosen for them and them alone.

The Lutherans live on another floor. Of course they used to live up on the Catholic floor as did some other groups, but they were kicked off of that floor for questioning the way the rent was paid.

The Episcopalians are on a floor. All their rooms have painted windows.

And there are many other floors on which live groups associated with Christianity (like the Quakers, who allow no noise).

Sometimes individuals or groups will visit those on another floor and become friends. Occasionally a Catholic will go to the Anglican floor and visit and decide to stay. Or a Baptist will eat dinner with people on the Presbyterian floor and see that she should be living with them.

But here's an interesting thing: God's house not only has many floors with many rooms, it also has several wings jutting out in different directions. There is the Eastern Wing. On one floor are the Buddhists, and on another the Hindus, and on another the Confucians, and so on. The Hindus think that there are many owners of the house. The Buddhists don't believe anyone owns the house; in fact, they say, there may not even be a house.

On the Western Wing along with the Christians are the Jews and the Muslims.

Then there is a Southern Wing that houses the agnostics and atheists and humanists. The agnostics have darkened their windows and aren't sure if anything is out there or not.

God's house has rooms for anyone and everyone, even though some people in the house don't believe that everyone lives there.

This is my imaginative way of understanding religion. I know that many folk cannot accept this vision of things. Their rules will not allow them to. But I have been up and down the hallways and in and out of rooms and I have seen with my own eyes that people of various religious traditions dwell within the dwelling of God.

I grew up on the Baptist floor, in one of the fundamentalist rooms. I didn't know there were other rooms for many years. But as I went to college and seminary I began to learn about church history and the philosophy of religion and systematic theology. I was invited by my teachers to get out of my room and walk around and get to know other people in the house. Still, for a long time, I worked by rules that prohibited me from acknowledging that everyone was in the same house.

Finally I thought to myself: what's the use of lying to myself anymore? I know these people are in the house; I'll just have to change the rules I work by. But I wasn't sure. So, I went to the office of the house and talked with Jesus. He smiled. I thought you would figure it out eventually, he said. I trust Jesus. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. And everyone has come into the house through his office, even those who have never heard of him. He's a generous guy.