Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Narrow and Broad

I heard a preacher say recently that truth is black-and-white.
Everything is either right or wrong.
All you have to do is look in the Bible and
the answer is there.
He called his theological perspective the 'narrow way' that Jesus talked about; as opposed to the liberal viewpoint, which is the 'broad' way.

Well, maybe not.
There's another way to look at it.
Maybe the 'broad' way--being the 'easy' way--is that preacher's perspective.
After all, if everything is black-or-white, that's pretty easy.
Nothing complicated about that!

However, if life is more complicated than that--
if moral questions become complex,
that makes life more difficult.
Which in my view would be the 'narrow' way--
the more difficult way.

I know he would disagree with me.
He would say that I am wishy-washy.
No. I have strong convictions.
I strongly believe that life is more complex
than some people make it out to be.
He would say that I am afraid to say that anything is wrong.
No. I am quite willing to say that he is wrong.

[The photo is of the Great Miami River. Is it narrow or wide? That depends on the larger view, doesn't it?]
Posted by Picasa