Friday, May 15, 2009

Roach Spirituality

My last post on roaches got me to thinking (which can be dangerous)...

Why (I asked) am I afraid of such a little thing?
Here's where my mind connected with that question
after I thought more:

Don't we all worry about 'little things'?
Aren't most of our worries focus on small parts of life?
We stew over little dark things in our lives.
Didn't Jesus tell us not to worry about the hairs on our head?
(Hairs are little things.)
Or where our next meal will come from?
(Well, that's bigger.)

We allow small things to bug us.
Why not focus instead on the Big Things of life?
Like God.
(She's big.)

But there are nasty little dark things in our lives
that we shouldn't ignore.
[The author of the Song of Songs talks about
the 'little foxes' that cause trouble.]
Perhaps journaling, or actually confessing to someone else
our 'dark things' -- or at least talking about them to a friend --
could help.

Or we could just squoosh 'em.

At any rate, the nasty little things are probably there
for a purpose.