Monday, November 15, 2010

Retirees Luncheon

(I'm putting this in large print for any old people who might be reading this blog.)

I just attended my first retirees luncheon. There were about 25 in attendance (some were spouses), even though this presbytery has around 100 retirees. I think I was the youngest one there (since I just took early retirement). The oldest was celebrating her 100th birthday today.

The Board of Pensions representative was there to cheer us on. He said that our retirement fund has $6.5 billion dollars in it and is secure. The Lutheran pension/medical system is broke. So, I'm glad to be Presbyterian. He explained that we might not be getting a 'raise' (apportionment) for a couple of years or more because of the way the economy is. But don't worry, he said. 

As for the medical aspect of the Fund, we are in good shape, but the changing rules about health care plans are in flux right now and the Board does not know exactly how it will affect our medical plans. However, he said, don't be surprised if there is no medical plan at all for our denomination in 2014! The medical exchanges that will be set up beginning that year may force our denomination (& all religious denominations) out of the medical insurance business. But don't worry, he said.

The medicare supplement that the Board of Pensions offers is a very good one, he said. But then again, it might not be there beginning in 2014.

I sat at a table with a female minister from Oregon who seemed to like the Oregon Ducks (# 1 right now); she just finished serving a Lutheran congregation that was dying. The other female minister at our table is serving a small church. I met another retiree who moved from Ohio (family here in AL). 

My wife will not believe this, but I ate the greens they set in front of me. They weren't bad. Also chicken, salad, something else (some kind of vegetable mix), and an apple dessert.

The Executive Presbyter asked me if I am willing to serve an interim pastor position that might be opening up soon. I said 'yes.'

I don't really like to be around old people too much; they remind me too much of myself. But then again, there is something refreshing about old people too: many of them don't give a damn about trivial stuff in the church that they used to worry about.


##