Monday, October 20, 2008

pierced themselves


I'm feeling better. Some time off and a chance to gain a better perspective clears the mind. I think I had become 'enmeshed' in the congregation (to use a Family Therapy term). I had been giving up self-differentiation. Setting my expectations too high: trying to change people--when the only person I can change is myself.

Why are some of us so hard on ourselves? I keep going back to what I believe to be true--namely, that first-born and those who are 'only children' are driven to accomplish and achieve in such a way that 'being successful' at what you do can become an unhealthy drive. And part of normal depression is making mountains out of mole hills. And of course there is all that stuff about synapses that don't connect correctly; that's what some of the medicine does--bridges the gap of the brain synapses so that they 'fire' effectively. Medicine for depression is like medicine for diabetes in this sense--that it supplies something to the body that is missing in the correct amount.

**

Another subject:
A recent study by the Baylor University's Institute for Studies of Religion found out that 55% of Americans say "I was protected from harm by a guardian angel." I wonder if all those angels ever run into each other. They must be all over the place. And I wonder why some people's guardian angels don't protect them from harm. Do some guardian angels go to sleep on the job? Can you ask for a replacement if your angel isn't working out so good?

**

The Evangelical church historian Mark Noll writes that in the year 1776 only 17% of Americans were religiously observant. By 1850 the percentage had risen to 34%. From 1980--2000 Americans practicing religion stayed around 62%. I guess this means we Americans keep getting more and more religious. Or maybe we're just going through the motions. Statistics are correct only 73% of the time.

**

I led a wedding rehearsal last Friday night. Directing a wedding rehearsal is an art. There are so many mother-in-laws who want to run the show. (Never seen a father-in-law who wanted to.) The bride is always nervous. The groom is trying to be manly with all his groomsmen. Several bridesmaids have already been in weddings and they have their ideas of how things should go. Everyone is hungry--wanting to get to the rehearsal dinner. The first thing I do at a rehearsal is gather everyone at the front of the sanctuary and have a prayer. Almost always at the rehearsal--when we practice saying the vows--the bride and groom get the giggles. The next day--at the real thing--one or both usually shed tears. I see the tears up close. I watch to see if anyone is about to faint. I smile a lot--trying to reassure everyone that everything is under control.
The wedding last Saturday was nice. Decorations not overdone. No country music during the ceremony. I pronounced them.

**

I had Sunday morning off. But I sent 6 hours at the church for two meetings in the afternoon and evening. I slept in on Sunday morning. Ah--to sleep during church! Now I know why they do it.

**

This Sunday is Pledge Sunday. Don't tell anyone--they may not come.
We are so touchy about money. People don't want anyone else to know how much they give to the church. If we all had a large faith we would all put our tax returns out on a table for all our brothers and sisters in Christ to see. But somehow we tie our personal 'worth' to money. Even more than sex--money is a hush-hush topic. Paul writes that "the love of money is the root of all evil." (1 Timothy 6.10) I think the TNIV renders it more accurately in terms of Paul's intent: "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."
For most of us it's all about security, isn't it? We want to be 'secure.' Having money is part of the equation of security in this world. There are necessities. Bills to be paid. Mortgages. Health costs. Nursing homes. Vacations. Cruises. Cottages. Things. Stuff. Material goods. College. Children. Grandchildren. Jewelry. Books. Cars. Entertainment centers. Big houses. Lawn care. Insurance. Hairdos. Shoes. Oh yeah--Church. God.

**

"Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (1 Timothy 6.11)

"For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it." (1 Tim. 6.7)

"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a hilarious giver." (literal translation)


[photo taken at Cox Arboretum]