Friday, October 31, 2008

Straw men

Today (Oct 31) is the Eve of All Hallows (All Saints). On this day in 1517 a young priest, Father Luther, tacked a long piece of paper onto the church door in Wittenburg. On that paper he had written 95 statements for debate. He disagreed with some of the practices of the Church headquartered in Rome. The authorities took notice. Debates did take place. Luther was urged to take back his statements, but he refused. He was excommunicated from the Church of Rome. Many people sided with Father Luther and began to follow his understanding of the Bible. These people became known as "Lutherans." Other people were following preachers named Farrell and Beza and Zwingli and Calvin. They became the "Reformed" Church (later also known as Presbyterians). Others followed the so-called Anabaptists. During this period Henry VIII broke with Rome, and the Anglican Church was born (today's Episcopalians in the U.S.).

When I was in the 6th grade my teacher, knowing that I was very involved in my church, gave me a book about Martin Luther to read. I was such a staunch 11-year-old Baptist that I refused to read anything about Luther. Seven years later in college I took a course on The History of Christianity, and my eyes were opened to the great diversity of the Church through the centuries. I came to love Martin Luther and his courageous preaching.

Over the years God has led me down an ever-broadening theological path. I have learned to appreciate the strengths of many diverse Christian and non-Christian traditions. Lutherans have their theological strengths; so do Episcopalians and Baptists and Catholics and Pentecostals and Methodists and Presbyterians; and other religions have wisdom to teach us--Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews...

Christ has become more real to me during my spiritual journey. He has also become bigger. Martin Luther helped the Church move away from the 'angry God' who is 'out to get us' to the merciful Abba we come to know through Jesus. (I'm not talking about an Old Testament God vs. a New Testament God; there is only one God.) Luther was able to recover the genius of the gospel that sees into the gracious heart of God.

Jesus is the Way to the Father. Not a doctrine about Jesus; not a theory about the inspiration of Scripture; but Jesus himself. He is bigger than our doctrines. He is more inclusive than our dogmas. He is more merciful than our theories of atonement. Jesus saves. There is no one else to save. But I believe that he saves those who don't fit our puny schemes of soteriological requirements. It's funny how some Christians don't want Jesus to save everyone unless they believe like them. I believe Jesus is more merciful than our theology is.

Martin Luther found freedom in Christ alone, by grace alone, through faith alone. Thanks be to God.


[photo by me]