Thursday, December 10, 2009

Doctor visit



I went for my routine six-month medical checkup today. I seem to be okay. Blood pressure okay. Took blood. A little overweight. Need to exercise more. Need to watch what I eat. (Of course I always look at it.) 

Since we're in the digital age, the doctor used one digit to examine my prostate. (This is the male equivalent of a mammogram.) He takes a long time, telling me, "This is the right side of the gland that I'm touching now...And here is the left side..." I say, "Okay, that's fine, let's get on with it." 

I've been having some hip pain. I was limping for a couple of days, but now it's better. He gave me some patches to wear for the pain.


At one point he asked me when I had my last tenanus shot. I couldn't remember. He looked on my chart and said, "It was either 2000 or 2008--I can't read my writing." Now that was the first time a doctor has ever admitted that he can't read his own writing. 


My doctor is a very nice guy. He takes time to ask me about my life--what's going on. I made him blush today. I told him that I appreciated what he does--that doctoring is very important.

He thanked me. I thanked him. He washed his finger, and I left.