Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Tebow ‘s Bible Show

Tim Tebow cried crocodile tears after losing the SEC championship game to Alabama. (On second thought, those must have been alligator tears.) His tears streamed down over the Bible verse he had painted under his eyes.




For that game it happened to be John 16.33. I said to Pat as we sat watching, "Look, Tebow has a verse about 'overcoming' on his face." I wondered if it meant 'overcoming Alabama.' You never know what Bible verses written on a person's face means. I suppose your average football fan didn't realize that the Greek word for 'overcome' is Nike. Perhaps he was secretly advertising for a shoe contract.


I wonder if Jesus intended for us to write his words on our face. I've heard of wearing your religion on your sleeve. But on your face? I kinda think that painting Bible verses on one's face trivializes the Bible. It also takes the verse out of context, which is always dangerous.


As far as I can tell, Tebow is a great guy. He's obviously a great athlete. He seems very sincere about his faith. And I don't want to make fun of him in any way. But…I think he was setting himself up for a big fall. And I don't understand the connection between using the Bible as makeup and one's prowess as an athlete.

The theology of football is not my area of expertise. Did Tebow expect God to help the Gators win? Did he think God was on his side? Did God let him down? Did the devil make him throw that interception in the fourth quarter?


Jesus, being a good Jew, would not have played a game with pigskin. Nor would he play on the Sabbath (Saturday). So, I'm not sure Jesus was involved in the game. Now don't get me wrong. I think God helps us do our best, whether at sports or anything else. Seeking excellence is a good thing. But I don't think God really cares which team wins the SEC championship or the national championship. Although if Bear Bryant is in heaven, he might have some pull.