Thursday, September 25, 2008

The circles of prayer


There are lots of different ways to pray. My way of praying each morning is like concentric circles. I start at the center and move outward. I pray in this order: for my wife... mother... daughter/son-in-law & granddaughter... extended family (sometimes mentioning one or two people by name)... my friends... my Clergy Support Group... my pastoral colleagues in the presbytery... my congregation (naming names of special needs and staff)... the church worldwide... our leaders... world situations... peace in the world... myself.

It doesn't seem so much like going down a list, as it does moving out from my heart. When others pray for me, I feel encircled with love.

You can look at a cross and see the loving arms of God reaching out to hug you. A hug is a circle of love. Our prayers are hugs from God. When we pray for others, we wrap God's arms around them.

"Never stop praying, especially for others. Always pray
by the power of the Spirit. Stay alert and keep praying
for God's people." (Eph 6.18, CEV)