Monday, September 8, 2008

preaching politics


It's a dilemma for every thoughtful preacher: how to deal with politics from the pulpit (and other official church settings).
The law is: a pastor cannot legally support any political candidate from the pulpit because of church's tax status.
I believe it's a reasonable law.
Nor do I want to go to jail.

Personally, I don't think it's my 'job' to tell church members how to vote--that is, which person to vote for.
Obviously every preacher talks about moral and ethical matters; that's part of the purpose of the church (to be the salt and light).

And I am not (like some pastors) a one-issue or two-issue preacher.
I almost never agree completely with any politician.
Are some issues more important to me than others? Yes, of course.
But I try not to be moralistic about politics.
In the world of international relationships and legislative sausage-making I want my representative or leader to be a little crafty.
I wouldn't trust a pacifist for a President.

My job as preacher is to declare and interpret Scripture to the best of my ability;
to help people grasp general Biblical principles of decision-making; and to trust that the
Holy Spirit is somehow moving and guiding individuals who are trying to be faithful to Christ.
(Of course everyone who claims to believe in Christ also claims to be guided by the Spirit, which on the surface is hard to believe.)

So, I hope no one expects me to tell them how to vote.
Reasonable people--and people of faith--can and do disagree about politics.
And about theology.
That's the way it is.
I think it has something to do with total depravity.

[I took the photograph in front of the Masonic Temple in Dayton]




##