Sunday, September 7, 2008

ground water

As I read the book Cleaving, I got interested in the art of drilling wells. So I've just read the book The Hidden Sea: Ground Water, Springs, and Wells (National Ground Water Association, 2000) by Francis Chapelle, a research hydrogeologist with the the U.S. Geological Survey in Columbia, S.C. I learned a great deal about wells and springs and aquifers. There was also much that I didn't grasp.

Chapelle writes not only about current issues of contamination and conservation, but also about ancient myths and religious beliefs in regard to wells, springs, etc.The Romans gave offerings to the gods at lakes and rivers. In Scotland in the 19th century there was the "Cheese Well." People dropped pieces of cheese into it for good luck.

I was interested in the author's explanation of the Biblical Abraham's power and wealth that came as the result of Abraham's skill at digging wells. Genesis 21 and 26 are particularly about power struggles over wells involving Abraham, Abimelech, Isaac, and the Philistines.

Water is certainly a major theme and metaphor in the Bible.

I didn't know that 98% of the water in the U.S. is underground.

I didn't know that Martin Luther in 1518 condemned the use of the 'divining rods' to find water as a violation of the First Commandment.

So, I immersed myself in some new knowledge, though some of it was over my head.

I do know the Scripture says that "baptism now saves you" (1 Peter 3.21).

##