Monday, September 29, 2008

Forest...Forrest


Here's a bit of useless Biblical trivia... According the Jewish rabbinical tradition, the middle letter of the Book of Psalms (in the Hebrew Bible) is always written a little above the line. In an English Bible it is found in Psalm 80.13, the English word "forest" (boar from the forest). The middle letter of that Hebrew word is raised above the line to show it is the middle letter of the Book of Psalms. I'm normally good at finding a sermon in anything, but I can't find one there. Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees.

**

I like to look at the classified sections of religious journals such as Christian Century, Christianity Today, and The Presbyterian Outlook. And I've noticed that most ads from churches looking for pastors are looking for energy. Here are recent examples:
"seeks a dynamic pastor..."
"the ideal candidate will bring energy and vision..."
"seeking a dynamic growth-oriented minister..."
"seeking an energetic senior minister..."
"candidates are expected to have a vibrant commitment..."
I've yet to see an ad that says anything like: "seeking a prayerful pastor" or "seeking a gentle, meek pastor..." or "seeking a contemplative minister" or "looking for a tired-but-effective pastor" or "the candidate must seek solitude like Jesus did..."

**

I read that the Unitarian minister Forrest Church is dying. He has written a book entitled Love and Death: My Journey Through the VAlley of the Shadow. One year when I went to Chautauqua he was the chaplain/preacher for the week. I had read a couple of his books before then and appreciated his wisdom. A reviewer selected this quote from Church's new book:  "Do what you can, want what you have, and be who you are."

##