Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Joy of Insects

Another lesson God gave me during the Darkness of Ike was about bugs. As Pat and I sat outside after dark just to break the boredom of sitting inside, we noticed the sound of insects. When the electricity is working I hardly ever just sit outside with no noise. But as we listened we heard a beautiful symphony of insects. There was the constant buzzzzzzzz of one type of bug, the intermittent zit-zit of another, the chic-a-chock of another, all coming in at different rhythms. It was orchestra of little creatures making music that we seldom stop to hear.

We could pick out different sections of the orchestra playing a variety of tones, melodies, harmonies, and styles--yet, with no discord. How these little bugs do it, I don't know. My friend Dick who has a Ph.D. in 'bugs' could explain it to me, but I don't have a clue. I do think God has orchestrated this world so that music is a sign of his presence. Music and mathematics are closely related, and there are many musicians and mathematicians who feel that their fields of endeavor are divinely inspired.

The acoustic evening gave me another experience of the Great Composer.

("Be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one anothe with psalms, hymns and songs from the Spirit." -- Eph 5.18-19, TNIV)